Monday, June 10, 2013

Weekly Blog #7



So, today was finals day and man was it crazy. The new classroom that I am in consists of all senior classes and the kids were extremely excited about getting done with their last finals to graduate tomorrow. Today was definitely the highlight of my week because of being able to see the end result of an entire career of education from K-12. These kids were excited to be done, but also had quite a few other emotions about leaving their friends and going to college in a new place. The majority of all the students in my second period, which is a government class were at the very least leaving Spokane and a good amount were leaving the state for their next step in life going to college. It was really neat to hear their thoughts about what to expect when they get there and how much fun they are going to have with this and that. I had a hard time not interacting with them when they started talking about going to parties as well as other extra curricular activities that they were looking forward to, but I was able to keep my composure and remain professional. Another cool thing that happened to me today was that a couple of students that remembered that I was from EWU came over to ask me what I thought about the school and whether or not I would recommend them coming here. OF COURSE I vouch for EWU, 100%:) It was really cool to see them very interested in furthering their education and how attentive they were with what I had to say. The dilemma that they were facing was that their parents don’t have a huge amount of money for their education, at least not enough for any out of state school, and so they wandered what my opinion was about going to a community college before transferring to a 4 year school. I tried to give them the best advice that I possibly could leaving them with contacts from both schools that they can call and talk with further about their future options. It was just a great day and even though I only have known these students for a very short time, found myself being extremely proud of them and very happy for their accomplishment with graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment