Monday, June 10, 2013

Final Summary of Field Experience



I think the biggest thing that I have learned about teachers this quarter is that each individual teacher has their own teaching style, that for the most part, is completely unique and that it’s ok. Every teacher thinks differently from the next and so it only makes sense to have a very unique teaching style that accommodates those differences into their lessons. It isn’t good to try and mimic a specific teacher, just because they are considered to be good, because more times than not, you won’t be comfortable when you are up in front of a classroom teaching a lesson. Some cooperating teachers have a specific way of doing things that has often differed from the teaching candidates that I have talked with and so it made it a little difficult to implement their own style in the lessons. But after a while of being there and getting to know the cooperating teacher more, most situations allowed the candidate to throw their own personality into the lesson, while still maintaining the overall structure that the teacher was used to. It was a bit difficult for me at times because the teaching style that my cooperating teacher had was very different than mine regarding how to interact and discipline the students. He is extremely well organized and runs a very structured classroom that doesn’t allow for any side chatter during instruction or class discussion. Most times that would be the view of many teachers, but I actually think that it’s OK to allow for a certain degree of chatter especially in special circumstances.
This actually brings me to the next point of what I learned this quarter which is to pick and choose your battles. No matter what, each and every day is not going to run perfectly and as a teacher you should never try to force a class to do so. There is always going to be a certain level of side conversations going on from time to time, and if you try to stop every single one, then the class is going to eventually become very wound up and then participation will more than likely drop because of it. Especially in special circumstances, for instance in a classroom that has a large number of IEP students where they may lose track of where they are in the book or in note taking and need to ask a neighbor to catch them up. When I ran my lessons throughout the quarter I made a point to pair each individual IEP student with a study buddy for those situations and that way whenever the other kids heard any chatter, they could simply look and realize that, that was who was talking and then get right back into the lesson without them getting frustrated with the noise. I had extremely positive results using this method and will continue to use and tweak it. By not engaging in every single circumstance the students are allowed to feel more relaxed and not like they are being kept in line by a drill instructor and from my experiences will be more apt to cut out whatever misbehavior I correct them for when I actually do correct them. The fact that behavior corrections won’t happen often will make it more of a big deal when they are called out and in so doing, will deter that sort of behavior.
I have learned that I still have quite a bit to learn about being a complete and effective teacher. I have realized that I have a very charismatic voice and approach in my lessons and always was able to get the students involved and engaged in the learning process, which is great. But I never really realized how much thought and effort goes into being a full-time teacher. It is by no means a 9-5 job, but that is alright with me. I have also rediscovered and confirmed that I have definitely made the right decision of choosing to work with kids. I absolutely love being able to have the opportunity to potentially make an extremely positive impact on my students lives. There always seems to be so many negative stories in the news about children being abused or neglected by their parents, so it makes me feel good to be able to have a part to play in creating a safe haven for them to come to at school and not be afraid or worried about anything. On the same thought, I have realized how little I approve of bullying in any fashion whatsoever. With the realization of what my position encompasses, as far as school being a safe place for these kids to go, it is my job to ensure that each student is being treated appropriately by both students and faculty. There are certain areas across the nation that have extremely high crime rates and other controlling factors that make schools the only safe place for kids to go. That is why it is so utterly important for each and every teacher to keep a watchful eye constantly on any dangers or bullying situations, so that they may put an end to them immediately. It really is part of the job description to keep the students safe and something that I realized that I take very seriously.
Being in two different schools this quarter has really opened my eyes to the differences in funding. Not only was one a middle and a high school, but they were also in two completely different districts and it was like night and day. Not only were the resources much scarcer in one, but the entire atmosphere in general. I have heard stories about how being in a school with a very low SES can be very difficult as a teacher in my experience it is true. It makes a lot of sense now looking back as to why my first teacher felt the need to keep such a high level of structure and order in his class, because maybe he felt that he had too. The high school is much newer and they have a lot more electronic aids then the middle school did. The students attitudes were much different too, which could be very likely due to the fact that their parents are more financially stable and have a better life at home, both relationship wise and in a financial sense. Both schools had extremely devoted teachers, but the level of engagement was astoundingly higher at the school with the higher SES. Some might say that the school has more money and can afford better teachers and I have no doubt that there is some truth to that statement. But at the same time I know that no matter what school I am placed in, whether it is high or low SES standing I am not going to neglect the needs of my students and will work just as hard in either situation to ensure that my students are fully engaged and meeting the standards that are set for them each and every single day. I know that almost sounds like an impossibility because everyone has bad days, even teachers, but it really is all in how you look and act in every individual situation. If I allow myself to get emotional because of outside factors of my life, then yeah I am more than likely not going to teach well and my students aren’t going to gather much that day academically. But if I put any emotions aside and continue to remain positive, then my day will get better and my students will learn.
Confirm, confirm and just for the heck of it confirm again with everything whenever communicating with your cooperating teacher. I went through a very tough situation losing my placement this quarter and would not wish that on anyone. There was some misunderstanding going from winter to spring quarter and the days that I was going to observe and it cost me my placement. There was also some other influences like MAPS and MSP testing that seemed a bit overwhelming to my cooperating teacher, but the main factor seemed to be that he thought that I was supposed to be there on a day that I wasn’t there. So, confirm everything everyday about everything. You might think that you are overwhelming the teacher by being overly thorough, but through my experience this quarter I learned that teachers are extremely scatter brained and need to keep everything extremely organized and scheduled or else all hell breaks loose. It is much better to be overly thorough then to have a misunderstanding and potentially lose your placement. Everything luckily worked out good for me and I ended up with an absolutely amazing teacher now, but it was still an unpleasant experience all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment